Man Who Shot Fayetteville Officer Gets 149 Years

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Fayetteville man convicted last week of shooting a police officer during a standoff earlier this year was sentenced Tuesday to 149 years in prison.

The sentence was handed down by Washington County Circuit Judge William Storey, who followed some of a jury’s recommendations on sentencing from last week.

A jury recommended 271 years of prison time Dec. 5, the same day it convicted Sergio Andrade-Martinez, 52, on eight charges of attempted capital murder.

The jury made no suggestions whether Andrade-Martinez should serve his time consecutively or concurrently.

Andrade-Martinez addressed the judge Tuesday, asking to be spared from spending the rest of his life in prison.

“I had death threats, and that’s why I acted crazy and all of these things came about,” Andrade-Martinez said through an interpreter. “I am asking with all of the love of God to please consider these things. One more opportunity -- that’s all I am asking.”

Washington County Prosecutor John Threet said the violent nature of Andrade-Martinez's crimes justifies a lifetime prison sentence.

"He will die in prison," Threet said.

The jury had recommended Andrade-Martinez receive a 27-year sentence for each of his eight attempted capital murder convictions. The defendant was also found guilty of two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of felony possession of a firearm and one count each of possession of a controlled substance and simultaneous possession of a firearm and cocaine.

The formal sentencing had been set for Dec. 10 but was rescheduled because an interpreter was unavailable, a court official said.

Andrade-Martinez declined to testify at his trial, which started Dec.3. Attorneys presented closing arguments Dec. 5, with the case going to the jury at about 11:15 a.m. The court announced a verdict at about 4:30 p.m.

Witness testimonials dominated the first two days of the trial inside the courtroom in the case of a Fayetteville man accused of shooting an officer in the leg during a police standoff in March.

Officer Blake Williamson, the officer shot in the ankle, took the witness stand Tuesday morning, saying he and two other officers were taking cover behind a red pickup truck when he felt a sharp pain in his right ankle and realized he had been shot.

After surgery, Williamson returned to work in June but Tuesday said his ankle is still not back to normal and is very painful at certain angles.

Officer Sid Ramirez, was called on to speak to Andrade-Martinez on the phone in Spanish during the standoff.

Ramirez said he was able to get Andrade-Martinez to come out of his apartment and before another officer came in, used a Taser on him and took him into custody.

Defense Attorney Scott Parks asked the circuit court judge to reduce the charges on all eight counts of attempted capital murder, as well as the counts of aggravated assault and committing terroristic acts.

Storey denied Parks’ requests.

The defense did not call any witnesses to the stand.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.