Family of Twelve Loses Home in Magazine Morning Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Twelve people are without a home after a fire in Magazine early Thursday morning.

A dispatcher with the Logan County Sheriff's department said they were called out to the home at 185 West Priddy Street around 4:45 a.m. Residents smelled smoke and found fire coming from the breaker. A neighbor called 911.

Homeowner Sherry Schmitt said eleven people - including three infants and her husband who uses a wheelchair - were home at the time of the fire. Everyone escaped safely.

Magazine Fire Chief Don Dickens said the home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. Five fire departments were on hand to assist including Magazine, Driggs, Sugar Grove, Blue Mountain and Booneville Rural.

Chief Dickens said the recent winter storm complicated the situation. Areas of Magazine got as much as a foot of snow Tuesday evening.

“Lot of hazards involved," said Chief Dickens. "Not only just the hazards from the fire itself, but also you’ve got freezing conditions. Firefighters can fall. [They can] get hurt just as easy trying not to fall on ice as they can with the structure itself.”

Neighbor Lanney King said Schmitt's family had to get out of the burning house quickly. He found them in the below freezing temperatures without shoes or coats.  He described the scene as "chaos."

The family is staying at Schmitt's daughter's house for now. Schmitt said her family will move into a trailer home they own while they rebuild their house.