Fayetteville Man Who Shot Officer Appeals Case

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A man convicted in December of shooting a Fayetteville police officer filed an appeal to the Arkansas Court of Appeals, less than a month after receiving a 149-year prison sentence.

Sergio Andrade-Martinez’s attorney filed the official appeal paperwork with the Washington County Circuit Court on Dec. 28. Andrade-Martinez remains behind bars in the meantime.

Circuit Judge William Storey handed down Andrade-Martinez’s sentence, cutting down the jury’s recommended sentence of 271 years of prison time.

Andrade-Martinez was convicted Dec. 5 of eight counts of attempted capital murder for shooting at police officers during a standoff last March. One of the rounds from his firearm struck an officer in the ankle.

The jury made no suggestions whether Andrade-Martinez should serve his time consecutively or concurrently.

Andrade-Martinez addressed the judge during his sentencing, asking to be spared from spending the rest of his life in prison.

“I had death threats, and that’s why I acted crazy and all of these things came about,” Andrade-Martinez said through an interpreter. “I am asking with all of the love of God to please consider these things. One more opportunity — that’s all I am asking.”

Washington County Prosecutor John Threet said the violent nature of Andrade-Martinez’s crimes justifies a lifetime prison sentence.

“He will die in prison,” Threet said at the time.

The jury had recommended Andrade-Martinez receive a 27-year sentence for each of his eight attempted capital murder convictions. The defendant was also found guilty of two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of felony possession of a firearm and one count each of possession of a controlled substance and simultaneous possession of a firearm and cocaine.

Andrade-Martinez declined to testify at his trial, which started Dec.3. Attorneys presented closing arguments Dec. 5, with the case going to the jury at about 11:15 a.m. The court announced a verdict at about 4:30 p.m.

Witness testimonials dominated the first two days of the trial inside the courtroom in the case of a Fayetteville man accused of shooting an officer in the leg during a police standoff in March.

Officer Blake Williamson, the officer shot in the ankle, took the witness stand Tuesday morning, saying he and two other officers were taking cover behind a red pickup truck when he felt a sharp pain in his right ankle and realized he had been shot.

After surgery, Williamson returned to work in June but Tuesday said his ankle is still not back to normal and is very painful at certain angles.

Officer Sid Ramirez, was called on to speak to Andrade-Martinez on the phone in Spanish during the standoff.

Ramirez said he was able to get Andrade-Martinez to come out of his apartment and before another officer came in, used a Taser on him and took him into custody.

Defense Attorney Scott Parks asked the circuit court judge to reduce the charges on all eight counts of attempted capital murder, as well as the counts of aggravated assault and committing terroristic acts.

Storey denied Parks’ requests.

The defense did not call any witnesses to the stand.