Carbon Monoxide Leak Linked to Hotel Pool’s Heater

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

At least five people were sent to the hospital Monday night after a carbon monoxide leak at the Hampton Inn on Ravenwood Boulevard near Highway 412 in Siloam Springs, according to the Siloam Springs Fire Dept.

The source of the leak was the swimming pool heater, according to police. The hotel is back open for business, but the pool and surrounding areas remain closed.

Fire crews are expected to continue monitoring the air quality to make sure it remains within safe limits.

An ambulance responded to the hotel around 8:30 p.m. in reference to a 54-year-old man experiencing rapid heart rate and dizziness. A couple hours later another ambulance was called for a 53-year-old man experiencing similar symptoms, according to police.

At that time police, fire personnel and officials from Source Gas Arkansas began investigating the air quality at the facility.

An investigation using atmospheric monitoring equipment revealed elevated carbon monoxide levels, primarily at the northern end of the hotel, according to police.

The hotel was evacuated around 11:13 p.m. One hotel guest did not respond to the calls and fire crews forced their way into the room and found a man unconscious. he was also taken to the hospital.

Twenty-five guests, who were not suffering from any symptoms, were moved to Best Western in West Siloam Springs.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.