Police: Man Assaulted Wife, Kicked 3-Year-Old Son Who Intervened

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Springdale man is facing a felony charge of aggravated assault after his wife told police he punched her in the nose, choked her and then kicked their 3 year old when the boy tried to stop him.

Johnny Calhoun, 31, was booked into the Washington County Detention Center early Sunday morning and does not have a bond set, according to the Sheriff’s Department website that lists him as a possible parole violator. Calhoun has a April 24 court date and faces a felony charge of aggravated assault against a family member and misdemeanor charges of third-degree domestic battery and endangering the welfare of a minor.

The report said Washington County Sheriff deputies responded to a disturbance call on the 20000 block of Fawn Road at approximately 9:07 p.m. Saturday. A woman, identified as Danielle Calhoun, said her husband had assaulted her and her 3-year-old son, the report said.

The woman told deputies her husband came in while she was smoking and began to punch her in the face, the report said. When she fell out of her chair, Johnny Calhoun got on top of her and began to choke her, the report said.

Danielle Calhoun said she scratched and clawed at her husband but he would not get off her, the report said. She said her 3-year-old son began to hit her husband and say, “No, Daddy,” but her husband kicked her son “across the room,” the report said.

Deputies said Danielle Calhoun had a bloody nose with blood running down her face and red marks on her neck, but the boy had no discernible injuries, the report said. Danielle Calhoun said she was able to get her cell phone and call 911 and her husband stopped hitting her when she began talking to the dispatcher, the report said.

The woman told deputies that her husband ran into the woods behind their home, and Johnny Calhoun came out to surrender when deputies announced they had a K9 unit they were about to release, the report said. The report said deputies contacted the child abuse hotline to start an investigation.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.