Michael Anderson Jr. Gets June DWI Trial Date

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Michael Anderson Jr., a member of the University of Arkansas basketball team’s coaching staff, has a trial date in June in Fayetteville District Court on a charge of driving while intoxicated and other traffic violations, court records show.

Anderson was set to appear Wednesday (March 27), but his court date was reset for 2 p.m. on June 5, records show.

Anderson, paid $30,900 annually as the basketball team’s video coordinator, is the son of men’s basketball coach Mike Anderson. The coach suspended his son indefinitely from the coaching staff on Dec. 3, one day after the younger Anderson was jailed in a DWI arrest.

Anderson Jr. pleaded not guilty on Jan. 18 to misdemeanor charges of driving while intoxicated, disobeying a stop sign and improper lane usage, according to court records.

The coach briefly addressed the arrest during a media availability Dec. 3, saying his son was being suspended indefinitely. The coach added he was disappointed and said the family would continue to support the 27-year-old Anderson Jr.

The younger Anderson is in his second season as the team’s video coordinator. He earned four letters playing for his father at Alabama-Birmingham and Missouri.

Anderson Jr. was booked into the Washington County Detention Center at approximately 8 a.m. on Dec. 2 after being pulled over by Fayetteville police shortly after 3 a.m., according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Department website. It is Anderson’s third DWI arrest, with his previous arrests coming in Fayetteville in January 2012 and in 2007 while he played for his father at Missouri.

A preliminary police report states an officer saw a white Pontiac run a stop sign at Wedington and Colorado drives before making a turn onto Wedington. The officer said in the report that the car straddled the middle line before pulling into a gas station on Wedington, with the car’s gas tank on the opposite side of the gas pump.

The officer said in the report that he turned on his lights and sirens and the driver, identified as Anderson Jr., got out of his vehicle and approached the officer’s car. The officer said he told the driver to return to his car, and the officer smelled alcohol coming from the car.

The report states Anderson’s eyes were red and watery and he had slurred speech. Anderson failed a field sobriety test and later refused to take a breathalyzer at the detention center, according to the report.

Anderson was released on $2,000 bond.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.