Jersey Bridgeman’s Accused Killer Gets Mental Status Hearing

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The results of a mental evaluation to determine whether the Bentonville man accused of raping and killing six-year-old Jersey Bridgeman can competently stand trial are in court custody and have been sealed by a Benton County judge.

Zachary Holly’s attorneys claimed earlier this year that the accused killer was unfit to stand trial, leading Circuit Judge Brad Karren to delay the murder case and grant the defense team a mental evaluation in February for Holly. The evaluation took place last month, according to Benton County Circuit Clerk records.

Karren’s office has received the mental evaluation’s results, but the judge sealed the report, according to Circuit Clerk records.

Karren has set a mental status hearing for 8:30 a.m. on May 29, according to the Circuit Clerk’s Office.

In addition to determining whether Holly is mentally competent to stand trial, the evaluation also will “determine if he was able to appreciate the criminality of his alleged conduct at the time of the offense,” said Benton County Prosecutor Van Stone in February.

That type of evaluation is standard in any death penalty case, Stone said

Holly’s lawyers filed a motion Jan. 17 seeking a mental evaluation for their client, saying Holly may not be fit to stand trial. The motion also states that Holly’s mental status may affect the case, records show.

Holly remains in the Benton County Jail, charged with capital murder, kidnapping, rape and burglary.

At his Jan. 7 arraignment, Holly pleaded not guilty to the charges. Stone said he will seek the death penalty against Holly in the case.

The suspect has been held in Benton County Jail without bond on an order by Judge Robin Green at the November bond hearing.

The Bentonville girl, who was found killed Nov. 20, died of asphyxiation, according to an affidavit of probable cause released by authorities.

Jersey lived at 608 S.E. A St. with her mother, who called the police early in the morning Nov. 20 to report her daughter was missing. Officers found Jersey’s body fewer than 15 minutes later, in a nearby vacant house at 704 S.E. A St.

The probable cause affidavit states Holly and his wife babysat Jersey the night of her death while DesaRae Bridgeman and Bridgeman’s boyfriend were working at a nearby convenience store. Holly later carried Jersey back to her house shortly after DesaRae Bridgeman returned around 11 p.m.. He told police he had nothing to do with Jersey’s death, according to the report.

A swab test on Jersey’s body showed traces of sperm, according to the affidavit. Holly consented to cheek swabs for DNA comparison. He also gave authorities clothes he had worn since going to bed the night of Jersey’s death, the report states.

DesaRae Bridgeman called police at about 6:45 a.m. to report her daughter missing. Jersey and her younger sister shared a bed, but Jersey was nowhere to be seen, the report states. Police estimated her death to have been between midnight and 6:45 a.m.

While on the phone with police, Bridgeman became so upset that she had to hand the phone off to Holly’s wife.

While searching for Jersey, an officer noticed the back door to 704 S.E. A St. was open. Jersey’s body was found minutes later inside the vacant house.