Gas Leak Repaired After Retirement Center Evacuated

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Authorities repaired a gas leak that evacuated a senior citizen center in Greenwood Friday (July 12) afternoon.

Staff at the Greenwood Retirement Center called police after smelling gas inside the building.

Sixty-two people were inside the building at the time. All of them were moved outside as authorities located the leak inside the building.

“We tried to keep them in the shade and made sure they had water and the staff here did a good job keeping them calm and well hydrated,” said Sgt. Eric Pippin with Greenwood Police.

Authorities say the gas leak was in the kitchen. They were able to turn the gas off and get it repaired.