Man Accused of Pointing Toy Gun at Officers Pleads Not Guilty

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A man accused of being involved in a standoff with police on a Springdale Walmart parking lot after an officer shot at him pleaded not guilty to several charges Friday in a Washington County courtroom.

Rainbow Kilo Rasphoumy, 40, of Huntsville, is charged with aggravated assault, second-degree assault, resisting arrest and terrorist threatening.

Rasphoumy was also in court for a hearing of order of protection from his niece. The niece did not show up to court, so the judge dismissed the order of protection.

Deputy prosecuting attorney Matt Durrett says Rasphoumy could see up to six years in prison and a $10,000 fine for terroristic threatening.

"Its five counts one for, it was my understanding there was five officers there,” he said. “He pointed what appeared to be a real gun at five officers; so therefore, it’s one count for each officer."

Rasphoumy has been held in the Washington County Detention Center since the incident on a $10,000 bond. A trial date in circuit court is set for Sept. 12.

Police said he pointed a toy gun at officers June 12 outside the Walmart Neighborhood Market at 3553 E. Robinson Ave. in Springdale before barricading himself in a van. An officer fired seven shots, with each shot hitting the van, police said.

At 7:47 a.m. on June 12, police said Rasphoumy’s niece called and said he had been outside her home for about an hour. She said the man had mental problems and often bothers her, according to a 911 call.

Police said she provided a description of his van, which officers later tried to stop at Robinson Avenue and Butterfield Coach Road, authorities said. Police said he pulled into the Walmart parking lot.

Rasphoumy got out of the van at the officer’s request, according to a police report, but soon became uncooperative and got back in the vehicle.

Police said he grabbed an object similar to a flute and raised it above his hands as if he were going to hit the officers. The police report states Rasphoumy attempted to kick the officers, and they used a Taser on him, but that did not stop him.

Rasphoumy pulled what appeared to be a handgun on them, police said. Officers attempted take cover, but while on the move, one officer fired seven shots at the van, the report states.

Rasphoumy was not hit. He barricaded himself in the van, eyewitnesses said. No one else was in the van, police said.

Rasphoumy was taken into custody about 9 a.m. after talking with police negotiators, authorities said.

Investigators told 5NEWS they recovered a black plastic toy gun that resembled a snub-nose revolver, three chickens, two ducks and three parakeets from the van. The birds were all alive, officials said.

Investigators later recovered a loaded .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun, an ax and other weapons from the van, according to police.

No injuries were reported.

The officer who fired the shots was placed on administrative leave after the shooting but returned to work a couple weeks later.