Murder Suspect’s Arraignment Delayed One Week

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The arraingment for murder suspect Kevyphonh Sounyaphong, 59, is delayed one week while Sounyaphong’s attorney out of Little Rock completes court paperwork on his behalf.

Fort Smith police arrested Sounyaphong in the murder investigation of his former co-worker who was found strangled in her home in January. He is charged with first degree murder.

Sounyaphong told 5NEWS while he was being led to the detention center in handcuffs that he did not kill the victim. When asked if he knew who strangled the victim, he said, “I have no idea.”

Sounyaphong is accused of killing Sakounsouk Vilayhong, a woman who was found dead in her Fort Smith home January 24. Emergency crews said they found Vilayhong lying on the living room floor and pronounced her dead at the scene.

The victim was found by her husband after he returned from work, according to police.

An investigation showed Vilayhong spent the majority of the day at the Choctaw Casino in Poteau, Okla. She arrived at the casino at 8:30 .m. and left at 1:50 p.m., according to the police investigation.

Detectives were able to establish probable cause and collected DNA evidence over the course of the several-months-long investigation, leading to Sounyaphong’s arrest, police said.

An autopsy of Vilayhong showed she had been strangled, according to Fort Smith police. Her time of death was placed at between 2:15 and 2:45 p.m.

The suspect initially denied going to the casino, but later told police he was there on Jan. 24, and into the morning of Jan. 25. An investigation later showed that Sounyaphong left the casino on the afternoon of Jan. 24, around the same time the victim did, police said.

Detectives were able to match the DNA of hairs found at the crime scene to Sounyaphong’s DNA profile, after which an arrest warrant was issued, police said.

He was transported to the Sebastian County Detention Center, where he remains on $500,000 bond, according to the Fort Smith Police Department.