Murder Case Against Accused Wife Killer Suspended

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Suspect Arrested: Mandrake Patterson

The murder case against a Greenland man accused of gunning down his wife and mother-in-law last year has been suspended indefinitely, after a judge says the suspect may be mentally unfit to stand trial.

Mandrake Patterson was set to go to trial July 14 to face two counts of capital murder and one count of attempted murder. Now the case against him is stalled, after a Washington County judge ordered legal proceedings suspended because “this court finds reasonable suspicion to believe that the defendant may not be fit to proceed,” according to an order filed in Washington County Circuit Court.

Shortly after Judge William Storey signed the order, the Arkansas Department of Human Services sent him a letter stating the department needed more time to mentally evaluate the murder suspect.

Patterson’s murder trial has been reset twice before, in April and August of 2013. Circuit court trials are often delayed while prosecutors and defense attorneys examine evidence and witnesses for testimony.

The Washington County Prosecutor’s Office released a notice Thursday stating Patterson has a hearing set in Storey’s courtroom for Friday at 3 p.m.

Patterson was arrested Jan. 10, 2013, on suspicion of killing two people and injuring his wife’s aunt at 1037 N. Main St. in Greenland.

Patterson’s mother-in-law, Betty Desalvo, 53, was pronounced dead after the shooting. His wife, Hope Patterson, 34, died later at Washington Regional Medical Center, according to the Greenland Police Department.

A third woman, Denise Fulfer, 55, was in critical but stable condition at Washington Regional Medical Center. Desalvo and Fulfer are sisters.

Patterson made a voluntary statement to Greenland police and confessed to being involved in the shooting, according to a probable cause preliminary report from the Washington County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

Police responded to a domestic disturbance call at the Elmwood Apartments on Main Street at 8:46 p.m., authorities said.

“It was a domestic dispute that went bad,” said Police Chief Gary Ricker.

All those involved lived at the address where the shooting occurred, police said.

Police said there was fifth person who also lived in the apartment who witnessed the shooting and is being questioned by police.

Greenland police said a shotgun was used in the shootings. Police said they have responded to disturbance calls at the home in the past.

Ricker said it’s been a while since something like this has happened in the city of Greenland.

“The last murder we had before this was probably about 10 years ago, and I`ve been police chief for 21 years. And this is only the second time that something like this happened,” Ricker said.


  • john

    This makes me sick. What about justice for the poor wife and mother that were slaughtered?

    This guy needs to pay for what he did.

    I’m sure he could drive a car just fine, run a street drug enterprise just fine, shoplift just fine, manipulate friends and family out of money, program a smart phone, etc.

    This guy isn’t insane, as 90% of people who get off with a slap on the wrist do, due to claiming insanity.

    The judicial system needs to start cracking down on the whole insanity defense.

    I know guys that have gotten out of major crimes with the insanity plea. They are to this day very smart and knew 100% what they were doing was wrong.

    I don’t buy it?

    • concerned citizen

      He pleaded guilty the next day and got life without the possibility of parole. This scumbag will never walk our streets again. Unless of course he escapes. Then hopefully someone will send him to be roomies with bin laden

Comments are closed.