Video Shows Crash After UA Bus Ran Red Light, Report States

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The University of Arkansas on Tuesday (May 13) released on-board video allegedly showing the moment a UA Transit bus ran a red light and struck another vehicle, injuring two people.

The video shows bus driver Kari McCawley driving through a Fayetteville intersection before striking a car on the front right side of the university transit bus last Tuesday (May 6). 5NEWS obtained the video through a public records request made last week.

McCawley was ticketed on suspicion of careless driving and placed on paid administrative leave pending the results of an internal investigation by Razorback Transit. The video is not being used as evidence in the case by police, according to the Fayetteville Police Department.

A police report states McCawley was driving the bus southbound on Leverett Avenue when she ran a red light and collided with a vehicle driven by Stephanie Isfalt, of Farmington, at the intersection with Sycamore Street. Isfalt was transported to Washington Regional Medical Center after complaining of pain in her left side and neck, according to the crash report.

Isfalt’s passenger, Lucas King, of Fayetteville, also complained of injuries to his left side and was hospitalized, the report states. McCawley suffered minor injuries in the wreck.

The bus driver told police her light was green the last time she looked at it, but she turned to speak to a rider on the bus, according to the crash report. The bus had about 12 riders on board. No injuries to bus riders were reported.

The crash caused an estimated $9,000 in damage to Isfalt’s vehicle and $8,000 in damage to the UA transit bus. McCawley was not impaired and “appeared normal,” police said.

This is the second crash this year involving a Razorback Transit bus where the bus driver may have broken the law. A seven-year-old boy was struck by a UA bus in February and suffered critical injuries. On-board video released by the university showed the driver in that case was speeding, but the driver was not cited by police.

University officials said police cleared the driver in February’s case of any lawbreaking, although video showed the driver was traveling 10 miles over the speed limit.

University spokesman Mark Rushing said the university has not had a driver at-fault in a crash investigation in at least 10 years, during which time UA drivers logged about six million miles of drive time.

Read more about the UA bus crash from earlier this year here.


  • Kuwnda

    What is the deal with the UofA transit? They have had more crashes in the last few months than what they have had in the past 10 years combined.

  • misty

    Sure, video as proof, but let’s not hold them responsible!?!? How did they not find the driver at fault back in February!? Why is this video not being used as evidence?! Getting tired of people not being held accountable for their actions.

  • Life!

    At first when i looked at it, looked like the same lady in february. Shame shame. Too many excuses.

  • Kuwnda

    My guess would be that the UofA has ran off all their older higher paid extremely experience drives and replaced them with $8.00/hr new hires that have never driven anything bigger than a Kia.

  • Bill Henry

    I bet the University hasn’t mentioned that Razorback Transit’s safety and training manager resigned after the accident in February and the position remains vacant.

  • Stephanie R.

    I know this driver personally, have for over 5 years. She has 20+years experience. She was NOT on an electronic device. she was not impaired. She is a very experienced driver. People make mistakes while driving all the time, you can’t say that you have never made one, we are human! She is also being held accountable for her actions. As for the safety amd training manager resigning, he resigned from his position but he is still employed with Razorback Transit.

Comments are closed.