BLOG: What National Day Is It?
November 14th marks National Pickle Day. In honor of the day, we found some fun facts about the food, according to the Arizona Farm Bureau.
- Several famous people throughout history are reported to have been or to be pickle fans including Queen Elizabeth I, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Bill Cosby, Fran Drescher, and Ed Koch.
- Elvis Presley loved fried pickles.
- George Washington was such a fan that he had a collection of more than 400 varieties of pickles.
- Americans love pickles so much, more than half of the cucumbers grown in the U.S. each year become pickles.
- Americans love dill pickles twice as much as their sweet counterparts and an average American eats more than 8 pounds of pickles a year.