Sequoyah County Man Gets 12 Years For Tying Up, Raping Woman

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SEQUOYAH COUNTY, Okla. (KFSM) - A Sequoyah County, Okla., man who helped grab a woman out of her bed, tie her up and rape her received a 12-year prison sentence Friday.

Mark Riffey pleaded guilty to kidnapping and rape by instrumentation. He was sentenced Friday in Sequoyah County District Court to serve 12 years behind bars, with an additional 10 years suspended, according to court records.

Riffey was initially scheduled to undergo sentencing Thursday, but he skipped the hearing before being stopped by deputies in a traffic stop later that night. Deputies stopped the vehicle near the intersection of Shurley Road and Redwood Road on Thursday night. After the passenger gave the deputy a false name, the deputy asked him to get out of the car, according to the Sheriff's Office. The suspect then told the deputy he had a bomb in the truck and he would blow everything up if authorities did not back off, according to the Sheriff's Office.

The deputy pulled the suspect from the vehicle. Riffey then led deputies on a footchase and tried to grab their guns during apprehension, said Sheriff Ron Lockhart. Riffey was arrested, and no one was hurt. The suspect now faces additional felony charges for that incident, Lockhart said.

Riffey was arrested in 2013 after deputies said he kidnapped and raped a family member. The other defendant in the kidnapping case, Robert Holcomb, is set for a plea hearing Jan. 29 in Sequoyah County District Court, records show.

The victim in that case said she awoke from her bed on a night in November 2013 to find a figure standing above her head. An arrest warrant affidavit states Riffey and another man---later identified as Holcomb---used zip ties to tie the victim's arms and legs.

The victim said she was then raped several times over the course of the weekend. She later escaped and contacted authorities, the affidavit states.

During a subsequent interview with investigators, Holcomb admitted to the incident and said he was recruited by Riffey to tie up the victim because Riffey "couldn't handle her complaining any longer," the arrest warrant affidavit states. Holcomb said he entered the home on the early morning of Nov. 10 and grabbed the woman out of her bed and used Riffey's help to tie her up. Holcomb then waited outside, at Riffey's urging, the affidavit states.

"Holcomb stated he was very nervous as he stood outside waiting as he did not know what Mark Riffey was going to do to (the victim)," the affidavit states.

Holcomb said Riffey then came outside and told him to go home.