VAN BUREN (KFSM) – Five suspects were arrested in a Van Buren multi-car break in case, according to a news release.
On Jan. 14 at 3:30 a.m., the Van Buren Police Department received a call of a suspicious vehicle on Vista Hills Boulevard. Officers were able to find the vehicle after the call came in, and two of the suspects were inside, along with several items of stolen property, the release states.
Over a period of 30 days, police had received multiple calls about cars being broken into and items stolen, authorities said.
After further investigation, police were able to find three more suspects, and all five were eventually booked into the Crawford County Detention Center, the release states.
The five people arrested were:
- James Pritchard, 32, faces a charge of parole violation
- Jason Gilcrease, 27, faces three charges of breaking and entering
- Ashley Hooten, 25, faces a charge of theft of a controlled substance
- Jamie Orick, 33, faces charges of possession of drug paraphernalia, two charges of breaking and entering, criminal trespass and theft of property
- Cody Franklin, 19, faces charges of criminal trespass, theft of property and two charges of breaking or entering
The suspects were going through residential areas and pulling on door handles to see what cars were unlocked, police said. If anything of value was found, it was stolen, according to the release.
Thousands of dollars of stolen property was recovered, according to police. The Fort Smith Police Department assisted with the case, the release states.
If anyone has information about anymore stolen items, they are encouraged to call the Van Buren Police Department at 479-474-1234 or the Crimestoppers tip line at 78-CRIME.