This morning retailers in 23 states are pulling Blue Bell ice cream products from store shelves, and consumers are being told not to eat any Blue Bell ice cream they may have at home. Late last night the Texas company issued a voluntary recall for *ALL* of its products after samples of the ice cream tested positive for the potentially deadly bacteria Listeria.
The Blue Bell recall is rare and sweeping. The Texas-based company voluntarily recalled ALL of its products late Monday after two samples of its chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream tested positive for the bacteria, Listeria. Symptoms include fever, muscle aches, nausea, and diarrhea and it can be deadly. The move followed weeks of gradual recalls over the same concerns.
The CEO of the company issued an apology in a video Monday night. While admitting the company doesn't know how the bacteria got into its facilities, he said it is determined to fix the problem.
Some Blue Bell ice cream products were pulled from major retailers after the Centers for Disease Control linked the products to three deadly cases of Listeria infection in Kansas. The illness was tracked to a production line in Brenham, Texas and later to a second line in Oklahoma. That facility is still closed while officials investigate the source of the bacteria. The 108-year-old company says its now expanding its cleaning and sanitizing system and will increase employee training.
The recall also extends to overseas retailers. Consumers who have bought Blue Bell items are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Watch the video for more information.
Sponsored by: Mercy Health System