Man Files Lawsuit Against Siloam Springs Hotel Over Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Courtesy: Hampton Inn

SILOAM SPRINGS (KFSM) – A Missouri man filed a lawsuit against a Siloam Springs hotel on Friday (July 10) over carbon monoxide poisoning.

James Fick filed the lawsuit against the Hampton Inn at 2171 Ravenwood Plaza in Siloam Springs, which is owned by Siloam Springs Hotel, LLC.

According to the lawsuit, Fick stayed at the hotel on Jan. 21, 2013, and became ill. He said he was taken to a local hospital and diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. Fick said other guests also experienced carbon monoxide poisoning, and later that evening a local fire department evacuated the entire hotel.

The lawsuit states that carbon monoxide escaped into the air at the hotel due to a leak in the indoor swimming pool’s heater. It also states that some of the pipes connected to the heater were “rusted, eroded and deteriorating.”

As a result of the hotel’s negligence, Fick suffered physical, life-threatening injuries, mental and emotional injuries and economic damages, according to the lawsuit.

Fick is asking for damages in the amount of $75,000, court documents state.

To read a copy of the lawsuit, click here.

The owner of the hotel was not immediately available for comment.