Springdale Fire Department Provides Tips For Keeping Home Safe During Cold Weather

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SPRINGDALE (KFSM) -- As freezing temperatures make their way in, many will soon unpack their space heaters and light up the fireplace to stay warm.

In preparation for the cold temperatures, the Springdale Fire Department has compiled a list of safety tips for keeping homes safe for those inside sleeping.

“We ask that before people start a fire in the fireplace, that they go ahead and inspect it before their first fire to make sure there is no build up," said Rodney Valdez, battalion chief with the Springdale Fire Department.

Valdez said buildup in the chimneys can catch on fire, and cause a large fire in the home.

He said another concern is centered around space heaters, but that there are multiple tips for safe use.

"We want to make sure if people are going to use the space heaters, they plug it directly into the outlet," Valdez said. “Also, if they can, buy one that will turn off if it tips over.”

Valdez said everyone using heating devices like space heaters, stoves, and fireplaces should maintain a three foot clearance area.

He said carbon monoxide poisoning can also be a risk during the winter.

"A lot of times, carbon monoxide alarms will be caused by incomplete combustion, or maybe there is a gas leak in the house,” Valdez said. “Or, maybe something is not burning completely.”

To help catch a carbon monoxide leak, or fire, citizens are encouraged to check batteries on smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

Valdez said the fire department offers free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. The fire department also offers free installation.

"Just call, and ask, and we will do what we can to assist,” Valdez said.

For more tips on how to keep your home safe during cold weather, see the image below.

Fire Prevention Tips