If You Miss The Tax Deadline You Can File For An Extension

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FAYETTEVILLE (KFSM) — The last day to file state and federal taxes is Monday (April 18).

However, if a person can’t finish their taxes today, they can ask for an extension. It’s important to do one or the other, because the penalty for late filing is much higher than sending a late payment.

An extension is very easy to get, according to Anabelle Steelman-Berry, a tax professional at Ronald G. Berry Tax and Accounting Services.

She said you can ask for tax form 4868 which gives you until October 17 to file the tax return. She said you can get them online through IRS.gov and then just fill it out and mail it in.

If you owe tax and can’t pay it, still file the tax return for the extension.

“Now if you think that you’ll owe tax, the IRS would love for you to mail some money in with the extension,” said Steelman-Berry. “But that’s not necessary.”

Steelman-Berry also said if you are filing a return and you find out you have a mistake, file an amended return with the additional information.




1 Comment

Comments are closed.