Autoplex Reopens After Huge Fire Last Year

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ALMA (KFSM) - One year ago today (Thursday, April 28) a family owned business in Alma went up in flames last year. The Autoplex Center in Alma was still able to keep their business running during the year of remodeling.

The family's business on Commerce Street in Alma never closed its doors, but instead worked in temporary facilities and thanks to their loyal customers they were able to stay and keep all of their hard working employees.

This is after a huge fire took their business a year ago today. After finding out it was an electrical problem that sparked the fire everything inside and outside that day was burned to ashes. Immediately after the clean up process began and construction on their new facility started in June. During that time, business for them didn't change. However, it wasn't easy.

Workers did the body shop work and also sold car and truck accessories out of temporary facilities. During the year of the remodeling project, the business was able to keep all of their workers employed during the difficult time.

A total of 23 families depend on this company for their employment. Business owners look back on the day this time last year as it was filled with emotions. "It was very stressful when you get a call that your business is on fire," said General Manager Brian Kimes.

Kimes said, " We worked through it and pulled together as a family and came out okay."

Business owners want their customers to know that they're back open. Kimes said they're excited to be back up and running at full speed after rising from the ashes.

According to business owners, they will have a grand opening celebration in the next couple of months.