Police Warn Fort Smith Area Of Scams For Hail Damage Repair
FORT SMITH (KFSM) — The City of Fort Smith has attempted to notify those who are looking to repair hail damage of scams and individuals posing as reputable and qualified contractors.
A release from the Fort Smith Police Department stated that residents should use the following guidelines before hiring a contractor:
- Be cautious of anyone asking for money before doing any work.
- Do not pay for any work that is not done or is not finished.
- Ask for references and CALL the references. Ask about quality of work, similarity of the work and the contractor’s willingness to correct deficiencies in the work.
- Be sure the contractor has a business license with the City of Fort Smith.
- Plumbers, electricians and heating/air conditioning contractors must have an additional license from the State of Arkansas.
- Building permits are required on all work to buildings. This includes roof repairs, siding and interior work. Do not let the contractor start working without a building permit and see that he gets all the required inspections from the City Building Department. Call the City Building Department if you have any questions about permits or inspections.
- Always try to get a specific written agreement that specifies the work and how much money will be paid for the work and when the payments will be due.
- The Fort Smith Police Department advises citizens to always be cautious and protect valuables. Keep doors locked and garage doors closed if not present during repairs. Be cautious and attentive to workers asking for access into your home.
- Please call the City offices if you have any questions. The numbers to call are:
- 784-2254 City Collections Department
- 784-2206 City Building (Code Enforcement) Department
- 709-5141 Fort Smith Police Department