UPDATE: Suspect Dies After Officer-Involved Shooting In Farmington

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FARMINGTON (KFSM) -- The man shot after pointing his weapon at officers near a home on Neal Street has died, according to Arkansas State Police.

Randy Blecher, 50, was taken to Washington Regional Medical Center Friday night (June 24) where he was pronounced dead, according to ASP.

--Original Story Below--

New details released by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office provide a better understanding of what happened during an officer-involved shooting Friday (June 24.)

Friday evening, emergency responders were called to Neal Street in Farmington, on a report of a home on fire.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office said officers and deputies arrived on scene to find a man in a home holding a pistol and rifle.

The sheriff’s office said the man exited the home, which was on fire, and fired his guns at officers. The suspect’s name has not been released.

Neighbor James Goett said he could hear all of the commotion.

"I never expected anything like this," Goett said.”I heard some popping noise, and my first thought was, ‘they already started with fireworks’."

With the home continuing to burn, the suspect continued to exchange gunfire with law enforcement.

“One of my other neighbors came running up, and said there was a man shooting at the cops, and won't let anybody get close to put the fire out," Goett said.

The sheriff's office said the suspect used lighter fluid to set the home on fire, before shooting at police.

Ultimately the man left the property, and pointed his gun at officers.

5NEWS was on scene as deputies and officers fired their weapons at the suspect, ultimately striking him.

"I heard what sounded like seven-or-eight rapid gunshots, and I told my wife then ‘it was over’," Goett said.

The suspect was transported to the hospital with gunshot wounds.

“The cops did what they had to do. And he got what was coming to him," Goett said.

Firefighters were left to extinguish the flames, while police processed the scene.

Goett said he was glad first responders, and his neighbors, were all okay.

“We are going to continue on this street like nothing ever happened," Goett said.

Since local agencies did fire their weapons, Arkansas State Police will handle the investigation.



Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.