One Arrested In Connection To Homicide Case Involving Missing Hiker

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SEQUOYAH COUNTY (KFSM) -- One man was arrested Tuesday (July 5) in connection to a homicide investigation involving a missing hiker in Sequoyah County, according to the Sequoyah County sheriff.

Tyler Leverett was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder after the fact in the death investigation involving Matthew Fagan, who was reported missing June 21 near Lake Tenkiller, Sheriff Ron Lockhart said.

"We do have one subject in custody.  He's been charged with accessory after the fact of murder. That's why I say we've went from a search of a missing hiker to a murder investigation," Lockhart said.

On Friday, the sheriff's office said they had two persons of interest in the case. Leverett is one of them, Lockhart said. The other person of interest is being held at the Muskogee County Detention Center on an unrelated charge, according to the sheriff.

"We do have a motive but we are not going to release that right now. But, you know people do some stupid stuff and it's a shame," he said.

Deputies have been searching for Fagan near Buzzard Roost Nature Trail since he was reported missing. They said they thought there was something suspicious about Fagan's disappearance since he went missing and spent every day questioning the four friends who said they were hiking with him.

Sheriff Ron Lockhart said the friends' stories did not match up, which led them to believe something bad happened to Fagan. Four friends were reportedly with Fagan at the time and reported him missing.

"You've got some boys that supposedly went on a hiking trip to look for silver in a mine and it appears that was not the reason why they went there," Lockhart said.

Fagan's body has not yet been found. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol will be continuing the search on Tuesday using sonar.

Investigators said they believe they are close to finding Fagan's body.

When they went hiking, the friends originally told deputies Fagan complained of his ankle hurting and said he was returning to the vehicle. Fagan has not been seen since.