Woman’s Bible Only Item To Survive Cedarville House Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CEDARVILLE (KFSM) -- Crews fought a fire that destroyed a home in Cedarville Thursday (Dec. 14).

The fire was able to be contained, but the home on Dorothy Drive is a total loss.

Homeowner Leslie Slate said her kids were at school during the time of the fire. It was chilly inside, so she decided to turn on a space heater. She then headed into town.

Not long after, she said her sister, who lives nearby called her and told her that her house was on fire. When she returned, the home was fully engulfed. This includes Christmas gifts for her family.

"This is my Bible it was priceless, it was my sons Bible, it survived somewhat," Slate said. "It's the only thing I have left my home."

Slate said there wasn't much they could do but watch the home go up in flames.

"I had a few gifts hid," Slate said. "They were my 12-year-old sons presents and my grand babies presents and I had some of my nephews presents in there."

Slate said the family will move in with other family members for the time being.

Friends of the family have set up an account to get the family through Christmas at Citizens Bank under Leslie Slate.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.