Cigarette Thrown Onto Grass Causes Hog Farm Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ALABAM (KFSM) — A tossed cigarette caused a grass fire and burned a hog farm, Thursday (Feb. 15).

The fire happened in a county field and at Cobb Creek Farm shortly before 12:30 p.m. in the 300 block if Madison County Road 1435 in Alabam. Someone travelling through the area threw out a cigarette which caused about a half-acre to burn, said Assistant Chief Steve McGourty with the Forum-Alabam Fire Department.

The grass fire spread to a hog farm and killed two hogs. Part of a chicken house, lumber, a stock trailer and storage shed also burned, McGourty explained.

“We made a good stop to keep it from spreading farther into the (chicken) house. It also extended to a storage shed that was next to the chicken house and caused minimal damage,” McGourt added.

It took firefighters about one-and-a-half hours to completely extinguish the fire and to make sure there were no hot spots. Forum-Alabam and Huntsville Fire Departments assisted in the matter.

Firefighters said they encourage others to properly dispose of cigarettes and other flammable items.