Springdale Hospital Carbon Monoxide Leak Caused By Boiler Test

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SPRINGDALE (KFSM) — Normal operations have resumed at Northwest Medical Center after a carbon monoxide leak forced the hospital to evacuate Tuesday (March 13) night, according to Christina Bull, hospital spokeswoman.

The carbon monoxide leaked from a boiler during testing, affecting two hospital employees who were treated and released, Bull said.

Patients in two affected units were moved to safe areas of the hospital, and air quality was returning to safe levels by 11 p.m., Bull said.

"We appreciate the timely actions of our staff, local police and fire departments in response" to the leak, Bull said.

Springdale police and firefighters were called to the hospital about 8:30 p.m. for a patient who was acting strangely on the fifth floor, according to Lt. Jeff Taylor, Springdale police spokesman.

Taylor added the man "had some kind of hazmat-induced situation. We got him out of there and evacuated the fifth floor."

Police said there didn't appear to be an intentional act of violence or anything of that magnitude.

A witness said he was told by a security guard at the hospital that they wouldn't allow him to enter the building and oxygen sensors were alarming.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.