Former Highfill Mayor Arrested Following Child Indecency Investigation

HIGHFILL (KFSM) -- Former Highfill Mayor Stacy Digby was arrested Wednesday (March 28) in connection with having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl, according to Sgt. Shannon Jenkins with the Benton County Sheriff's Office.

Digby, 44, faces felony charges of sexual indecency with a child and first-degree sexual assault.

Digby resigned Wednesday (March 28). Stacie Williamson, recorder/treasurer, will now serve as interim mayor.

In his resignation letter, Digby said it was a "pleasure serving as the mayor of this great little town":

I came into office during a time of great financial burden ad we struggled together. I leave office with our city having enough new growth to support our sewer and water systems. The future of the town (looks) bright."

Digby was also a "lay leader" at Highfill United Methodist Church.

Russ Hall, the pastor, told investigators the leadership position is similar to that of an elder in other denominations, adding that lay leaders often represent the Methodist church at state and national events, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Residents had approached city officials about concerns over the mayor's relationship with the girl, which began in 2014, according to the affidavit.

Some residents reported recently seeing the girl sitting on Digby's lap at a bowling alley. Another time a Highfill officer found the girl in the mayor's office around 1 a.m., according to the affidavit.

Highfill Police Chief Blake Webb asked for an outside agency to investigate, and the sheriff's office opened an investigation in January.

On Jan. 10, the sheriff's office searched Digby's home on Linwood Street, where they found pictures of the girl, her clothes and medication.

One of the girl's siblings later told deputies that Digby would come to their house late at night and once sent the girl a picture of his genitals, according to the affidavit.

Digby was being held Thursday (March 29) at the Benton County Jail on a $30,000 bond. He has a hearing set for May 7 in Benton County Circuit Court.