FORT GIBSON, Okla. – An Oklahoma family says a fun vacation took a dangerous turn while at a local lake.
“It was just a bunch of kids and moms and dads playing in the water, feeding geese, fishing, boats, you know the whole thing,” said Brittanie McClain. “We had a good time until the end.”
Recently, Brittanie McClain and her family were spending time at the Flat Rock Campground at Fort Gibson Lake.
On the last few days of their family vacation, they all became ill.
Officials say two girls, their mother and grandmother all became ill with a dangerous E. coli bacterial infection, says Oklahoma City station KFOR.
“My 3-year-old is actually in the PICU right now with some acute kidney failure and a little bit of anemia,” McClain said.
The Army Corps of Engineers says they have investigated, but they believe it is an isolated incident. The Corps says it does regular E. coli testing but says none of the shoreline at Flat Rock is designated as a swim beach.