VAN BUREN (KFSM) — A Van Buren elementary was evacuated Thursday after reports of a gas leak, but no leak was found.
Jonathan Wear, public information officer with the Van Buren Police Department, said Rena Elementary at 720 Rena Road was being evacuated for a possible gas leak about 11:15 a.m.
Firefighters and police responded to the report of the leak but found nothing. Arkansas Oklahoma Gas also responded to the scene, as well as Van Buren Utilities.
According to the maintenance staff and Deputy Superintendent Brian Summerhill said there was no leak.
Brittany Ransom, communications coordinator for the Van Buren School District, said the all-clear has been given and students will return to their classrooms.
She said they will continue to investigate why a possible gas leak was reported.
The following statement was released by the Van Buren School District concerning the gas leak at Rena Elementary:
A potential smell of gas was reported by school leaders this morning at Rena Elementary. As a precaution, students were placed in the campus safe room. District maintenance, Van Buren Police and Fire were dispatched to investigate, as was the utility company, Arkansas Oklahoma Gas. After careful inspection, officials determined there was no gas leak on the campus. Students have since returned to their classrooms.