Fayetteville Homicide Suspect Taken Into Custody After Standoff; Police Release Names Of Victims

SPRINGDALE (KFSM) — A suspect in a Fayetteville double shooting was taken into custody in Springdale after a standoff Friday morning (March 15).

Lt. Jeff Taylor with Springdale Police said Dekota Harvey, who was unarmed, gave himself up after a 3-hour, 15-minute standoff at the Applegate Apartments complex in Springdale. He was handcuffed and led away from the apartment at about 10:25 a.m.

Members of the Springdale Police and SWAT teams swarmed Park Street at Caudle Avenue near the Springdale Airport early Friday morning on a report of a possible sighting of Harvey.

Dekota Harvey

According to police, a driver at a traffic stop informed them that Harvey was in the apartment at the Applegate complex. Police made contact with Harvey at the apartment, and he agreed to give himself up. He was unarmed, police said.

It is unclear who lived at the apartment and whether they were helping Harvey flee.

Harvey is wanted in Fayetteville on charges of murder and first-degree battery after a double shooting left one dead and one injured at an apartment complex on Leverett Avenue in Fayetteville Thursday night (March 14).

The two victims have been identified as Elizabeth Dawson and Courtney Willie, according to a press release from the Fayetteville Police Department. Willie was treated for non-life threatening injuries and Dawson died from a single gunshot wound.

Meanwhile, neighbors at Applegate Apartments said they are relieved the standoff is over.

Neighbors and people in nearby businesses said they've been worried all morning how the situation was going to end, but they said they were grateful the Springdale Police is always on top of things.

Some neighbors were outside all morning watching and waiting, while others stayed inside their homes with the doors locked.

Stephen Mitchell has lived in the neighborhood for more than 20 years and said the whole community is tight-knit and always watching out for one another.

"Well, we had one incident about 4-5 years ago, and it was a shooting here in the back [of the complex], but other than that, it's been pretty safe," Mitchell said. "A lot of the police roam around and patrol the area and stuff like that."

People living nearby say they are thankful for such great police presence in their community and that they were able to capture Harvey so quickly.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.