FORT SMITH, Ark. (KFSM) -- Several hotels are offering discounted rates in the wake of historic flooding that has inundated eastern Oklahoma and the River Valley over the last week.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites / $75 special rate / 479-755-3111
- Comfort Inn / $44 rate on Sat., Sun. only -- must provide identification with home address / 479-434-5400
- Double Tree / $84 rate through June 4/ 479-494-3760 479-783-1000
- Home2 Suites / $97 for single queen bed and $102 for double queen bed rooms / 479-452-2100
- Hampton Inn / $89 for assorted rooms / 479-452-2000
- Courtyard Marriott / $79 for assorted rooms / 479-783-2100
All of the aforementioned hotels had availability as of Monday (May 27).
Current projections from the hydrologists with the National Weather Service and Corps of Engineers predict the Arkansas River to crest at a record height of 42.5 feet at 1 a.m. Wednesday (May 29).
The critical level to watch on the Arkansas River is 46 feet. As long as it stays below that level, the levee is expected to perform well according to it’s recent evaluations and the Corps of Engineers Risk Assessment.
The Van Buren Levee and floodwall were last evaluated in 2009 and were certified by FEMA later that year.
The critical water elevation for water overtopping the levee is between 417-418ft elevation. The current forecast leaves the levee with roughly three feet to spare.
An updated list of road closures can be found here.