3-Year-Old Dies After Early Morning Fort Smith House Fire, 4 Others Remain In Critical Condition

FORT SMITH, Ark. (KFSM) — According to the Fort Smith Police Department, a 3-year-old girl has died from injuries sustained in a house fire early Tuesday (Nov. 19) morning.

Three other children ranging in age from 3 to 10-years-old along with their 30-year-old mother were also inside the home at the time of the fire.

All of the children have been air-lifted by medical helicopter to hospitals outside of our area to be treated for life-threatening injuries.

The mother remains in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit of a Fort Smith hospital at this time according to Aric Mitchell with the Fort Smith Police Department.

The father of the children and other family members have been contacted with details about the death and injuries, Mitchell said.

Just after 3 a.m. Tuesday (Nov. 19) morning the Fort Smith Police Department was dispatched to the home on N. 35th St. to assist the Fort Smith Fire Department. Once first responders arrived on the scene they found multiple victims inside the home. The victims were transported just before 5 a.m. for treatment, according to Mitchell.

The Arkansas State Crime Lab along with the Fort Smith Fire Department are still investigating the exact cause of the fire. The Fort Smith Police Department will continue to assist in the investigation as needed. The identities of the victims are not being released at this time.

Mitchell goes on to say that the investigation is still in the early stages and additional details will be released when they become available.

Charles Lewis lives across the street and says he heard a loud boom and walked outside to see his neighbor's house on fire.

"I came out here to check all of my stuff because I thought someone was trying to steal it and I saw the house across the street was on fire and called 911," Charles said.

Carol Lewis said her brother in law is a hero.

"I mean if my brother in law wouldn't have called, everything would've been up in flames and we wouldn't have known about it and I would've actually been heartbroken," Carol said.

Stevie Cannon was awake preparing to go hunting when he heard sirens and saw smoke next door. Cannon said he watched as fire-fighters brought his neighbors out of the burning home one by one.

"I really feel bad that I wasn't able to come outside and get them out of that house," Cannon said. "I was in tears. I was on my porch watching them bring those kids out and it broke my heart."

George Webb lives a few houses down from the fire and described the scene as heart-breaking.

"The windows were out and it had smoke burns all over the house," Webb said. "It looked like it came out of all the windows and stuff it was terrible."

Cannon said all of the children were filled with joy and that his heart is broken for the family.

"That little baby she was a delightful little girl," Cannon said. "The little girl would play with my grand baby and my boys played with the other tow little girls. They all got along good and played togther all the time so it was really hard to see that."

Stay with 5NEWS for more information on this developing story.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.